Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Butternut Squash Wonton Wrappers

I was a bit concerned that this recipe would not have protein in it but surprisingly butternut squash and the wonton wrappers both have protein.  It's a little protein but it's there.  Plus I served this with a side of roasted asparagus which also has protein.

The recipe is surprisingly easy, and the kids loved it.

What you need:
a winter squash - I choose butternut
scallions
olive oil
soy sauce
ginger or tumeric

How you put it all together:

1. Peel squash, cut off ends and open up to scoop out the seeds.  Chop squash up into pieces.

    Peel, cut and scoop out the seeds

2. Boil the squash until soft.  I must say I think I'd like to roast it instead of boiling it next time.  I think it would be thicker in texture.  I'll update this post if I try it this weekend.

3. While squash boils, thinly slice a couple of scallions



When squash is soft, puree.  I used a food processor but a fork will work.
Mix in soy sauce, to your tasting, ginger and scallions.
Have puree, wontons and a small bowl of water on hand.
Take a wonton and place a dollop of puree on the center.



4.  Dip your finger in the water and wet two congruent sides of the wonton.

5.  Fold the wonton where a dry side touches the wet side, press the two sides.  Do this until you run out of puree or wontons.

6.  Heat oil in frying pan.

7.  When oil is heated, place the wonton in the frying pan.  The wontons will sizzle.  Heat about 1-2 minutes per side.  If the wonton is getting that brown crispy color, flip.



8.  When both sides have that brown crispy color remove from heat.  I place mine on a paper towel lined plate to soak up the extra oil.

9.  Let cool and you are ready to eat.

You can watch me make it here:


No comments:

Post a Comment