Thursday, December 27, 2012

Peanut tofu Stir-Fry - yes it's vegan again

I'm amazed that when you go with meatless and dairy-free I find many vegan recipes.  This was a nice recipe that the family ate everything on their plate.  I was nervous because it was tofu but I liked cooking it until it had that semi crispy taste.  With each recipe I modify so that I can use ingredients that are easily accessible or what I have in the house that I think will be a good substitute.  I encourage you to do this as well.  With all that said, check out the lesson learned at the end of this blog.

Please keep in mind this is NOT a set it and forget it recipe.  On the other hand, it shouldn't take more then a half hour.

Ingredients:
1-2 tbl olive oil
14-15 oz chopped firm tofu - I found it pre-chopped in the store
2 cloves of garlic
1 head of broccoli
2 roma or plum tomatoes
2 cups of green beans
ginger
chili powder



  1. I like to prepare all the ingredients first, so mince the garlic, chop the broccoli and tomatoes and trim the green beans.  The veggies can be put in one bowl since they will be put into the recipe at the same time.
  2. Heat oil in a frying pan.
  3. When oil is hot, place the tofu and begin stirring.
  4. After about 5 minutes, sprinkle on ginger, to your taste.  Continue to stir.
  5. After another 3-4 minutes you can put in the garlic. Continue stirring.
  6. When tofu appears crispy (I tasted it to see if I liked it) add vegetables (broccoli, tomatoes and green beans)
  7. Cook and stir until broccoli and green beans are bright green then stir in chili powder
  8. Stir for another minute then serve.

Lessons Learned:
  • Wait till the tofu is the texture I like and then put the garlic in for about a minute.  The garlic became crispy.  I didn't notice it in the end product but also didn't taste it either.
  • I was nervous the tofu would have no flavor but really does take the flavor it is put with.
  • I was also afraid that the tofu texture would be too mushy but it stiffens, I wouldn't call it crunch, more of a store bought tater tot texture.






1 comment:

  1. Excellent recipe. I especially appreciate your lessons learned.

    ReplyDelete